Monday, February 16, 2015

What's The Plan

One thing that I've learned that is very important for Aspies is their inner plan. Mess up their plan for the day and all hell breaks loose. But.... the problem is that most people don't know their plan and it doesn't get voiced, so as an innocent bystander you are completely flabbergasted when a huge meltdown ensues because an inner plan got messed up. One time my husband explained a situation to a psychiatrist friend of ours of how upset he was when I changed the plan on him one day and because I changed the plan I made him lose his hat. The thing that struck me about the conversation is that the psychiatrist looked at him and calmly said did you tell your wife your plan? If not, how could she know she was breaking it. The same issues with the plan happen with our son. If I pick him up after school and we have a last minute errand to run sometimes a meltdown ensues because that's not how he planned the evening to go.

Here is an interesting article on teaching Plan flexibility. Very useful for any Nero-typical working with an Aspie.

http://special-ism.com/my-plan-vs-your-plan-seven-tips-for-parents-to-promote-a-shift-in-your-childs-rigid-thinking/

No comments:

Post a Comment