Friday, February 27, 2015

Video Games - The Ultimate Learning Tool

In the past I've seen a lot of parents put iron clad restrictions on their kids video game playing. I was one of those parents. But I've come to learn the right video games aren't such a bad thing. My son loves Minecraft and at first I was like why would anyone want to play a game that on the surface looks so old school. Come to find out it's a limitless adventure that teaches our kids a ton of different subjects. As he began to play the game, my son started picking up on many different disciplines including physics, electronics, geology, and chemistry. For example physics, my son has loved physics since he was a baby and Minecraft gives him the opportunity to test out his contraptions before he builds them and allows him to quickly make adjustments. He builds roller coasters and catapults and also understands the theories behind the actions. The other day I commented on how surprised I was that he didn't bang his car door into the one next to us and he looked at me and said "that's because I have a good grasp on trajectory" lol talk about making me laugh. The best part is it doesn't stop there. He has also gained an affinity for electronics now because of Minecraft. He loves creating machines in Minecraft with Redstone. This has helped him learn about circuits, pistons and repeaters just to name a few. As for Geology he started picking up on the different types of ores in Minecraft and their properties. In turn this lead to learning more about the elements and what happens when you combine them together, hence the use of chemistry. 

Parents out there, before you are quick to not allow game play, give your kids a chance and let your children explore. Allow them to tap into their natural curiosity to learn through play. Help them tap into their strengths.

No comments:

Post a Comment